A suicide bomber struck a funeral in Afghanistan for the victims of an earlier Taliban attack, killing 16 people and wounding 39, an afghan official said. The attack took place in eastern Laghman province, according to the Local governor`s spokesman, Sarhadi Zwak.
“A suicide attacker detonated himself when he was identified by the police,” said Khawani, the deputy security chief of eastern Laghman province where the attack took place, who goes by one name.
In one attack, 17 people were killed and nearly 40 others wounded. “A services was underway for a police named Sayyeda Jan, who was killed along with three members of his family in a bomb attack earlier on Thursday morning in the provincial capital of Mehtarlam.
The attack took place at around 3:00 p.m. local time in Pahlawan Baba, a locality in Mehtarlam.
No one has claimed responsibility for the attack but suicide bombings are a hallmark of the Taliban`s war against foreign and Afghan security forces, now in its fourteenth year.
The militant group has intensified an offensive with a string of bombings and attacks over the past couple of months as the Afghan National Security Forces assumed the full security responsibility from NATO-led troops after a four-year security transition process ended Dec 31.