Islamic State`s Egypt wing claimed a series of attacks that killed at least 27 security personnel on Thursday in some of the worst anti-government violence in months, after commemorations around the anniversary of the 2011 uprising turned deadly in the past week.
The attacks which happened on Thursday is the deadliest assault on security forces in recent weeks. It targeted the police headquarters of EL-Arish, a military unit and a residential area housing army and police officers.
The source in the province told the state TV earlier that ten mortar shells and a car bomb targeted the North Sinai Security Department headquarters and army detachment 101, noting the attacks destroyed a large part of the department.
The region has been under a dusk-to-dawn curfew since October when militants attacked a checkpoint, killing dozens of soldiers. No group has yet claimed responsibility for Thursday`s attacks.
The U.S. State Department condemned the attack, saying in a statement: “The United States remains steadfast in its support of the Egyptian government`s efforts to combat the threat of terrorism in Egypt as part of our continuing commitment to the strategic partnership between our two countries,”
The military said in the statement on its Facebook page that the attacks were the result of a successful campaign to pressure the militants.