According to the officials said on Monday, not less than 30 combatants had lost their lives in a heavy battle between Taliban insurgents and Afghan security forces. This attack had threatened a major northern city on Monday.
As per the Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid said in a emailed statement, seven police and army checkpoints and two districts in the province of Kunduz had been attacked by hundreds of Taliban militants.
As told to the TOLO news TV channel by Mohammad Omar Safi that several villages had been seized by the insurgents and had currently held territory in Gur Teppa which is located 7km from Kunduz city.
According to the TOLOnews and citing local officials, not less than 2,000 reinforcement troops had been marshaled to Kunduz. They had been expected to launch a counterattack soon, although the Kabul officials were not able to give more details.
As said by the province`s Governor Omer Safi,
“There are casualties as a result of three days` battles on both sides, but I can`t provide precise figures as the fighting is still going on.”
According to the Zabul governor`s spokesman, Islam Gul Sayal, at least six civilians who were of the same family had lost their lives when a bomb hidden by the Taliban for further use accidentally detonated in southern Afghanistan. Among the dead were two women and two children.