page contents

One Person Lost His Life in the Gun Attack at Fortress in Southern Russia

According to the reporters, one person had lost his life when a gunman opened fire on a group of tourists visiting a historic fortress in Dagestan in southern Russia on Tuesday evening. Also eleven people had been injured in the attack, as said by an official in the region`s health ministry on Wednesday.

Among the injured, four of them were in critical condition and were getting medical treatment, said the official.

As reported by the Interfax news agency, the tourists were local residents who came to visit a viewing platform at the fortress in Derbent when an unidentified gunman opened a fire from the nearby forest. Among the visitors were two border guards, one of whom lost his life in the attack, as reported by Interfax.

The search for the attacker is ongoing. The local police refused to comment to Reuters.

In Dagestan, gun attacks and bomb attacks had been common, mostly in the region of Muslim Internal republic in Russia`s troubled North Caucasus where the Moscow had been battling against Islamic extremists for years. However, in the region, attacks targeting the tourists are not usual.

About The Author

Related posts